Dr Phil proclaimed, “The way to achieve inner peace is to finish all the things you have started and have never finished”.
So, I looked around my house to see all the things I started and hadn’t finished, and before leaving the house this morning, I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Zinfandel, a bottle of Bailey’s Irish Cream, a bottle of Kahlua, a package of Oreos, the remainder of my old Prozac prescription, the rest of the cheesecake, some Doritos,and a box of chocolates. You have no idea how freaking good I feel right now. Please pass this to those whom you think might be in need of inner peace .
I did not write that – its one of the lovely forwards one gets. If I had written it, I would have been proud of it.
If you look around any book shop, it is filled from top to bottom with self improvement books. Ever wondered why there are so many of them? They sell instant nirvana. Every book is supposed to be the last word on how they can help you solve all the problems in your life, make profits, get out of debt and be on the top of the game. Is it really so??? I think this would be true if every one lived the same life, in the same way. What might suit person A can not suit person B.
I have read quite a few of them, and then I realised what would work or would not
- The books will not live my life for me
- They will not pay my credit card bills
- They will not deal with angry teachers at parent-teacher meetings
- They will not deal with crooked mechanics, I will have to go get my car repaired myself
- They wont deal with unreasonable bosses or meet unrealistic targets/deadlines
- They wont deal with teenage angst or boys
- They dont deal with ex husbands …… sigh!!!!
However they can do this :
- They can clear up your preconcieved notions
- They can teach you how to think
- They can give you guidelines on stress management
The most important thing I ever learnt from those books was that I am responsible for my own life and that I decide whether I am happy or sad – no one or nothing else can.
Finally this picture says it all