I have followed a very simple thumb rule in life. Of course its got me into trouble, its also earned me a lot of joy and love.
The thumb rule is this:
1. Think from your heart (I know, I know, my brain isn’t there, but it works for me)
2. Say things without thinking them over (Popularly termed as foot-in-mouth-itis)
3. Apologizing unrestrained-ly when I realize that I have hurt a person I did not mean to hurt ( Normally happens when the kids kick self-absorbed me in the shins ouch!)
4. Generally staying true to my conscience i.e. praising what is good and raising my voice against what I think is wrong.
5. Always reminding myself I wasn’t born to win a popularity contest (I am not a politician or a cine diva so I can get away with it)
Now I am fifty plus and I think I have got my act together, but some things really get my goat!
I put this as my status message on Facebook
At least Lalit Modi and IPL did not shame us like Kalmadi and Co.
and this on Twitter and Buzz
In any other country Suresh Kalmadi would be held and prosecuted for treason.
And I get this message on my phone
Avoid negative comments about CWG at this point on social networks as many foreigners read this
Hello, I am angry. I will speak out – the whole damn country has been taken for a ride by some inept and corrupt bunch of jokers. People in power are shifting blame. These guys have undone all the hard work done by the common man. People have gone abroad and won a reputation for being hard working and intelligent. People in this country have worked hard (no not the leaders but the common man). Yes, progress in our country has happened in spite of our politicians and leaders. You and me and our neighbors and co-workers have done it. Our money has been robbed and we have been shamed.
Keep silent? No I can’t.
Why shouldn’t I speak out?