There should be a travel primer, hard bound with instructions, you know, something like the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. I would carry it, and even pack in the towel.
Even without that we managed pretty well apart from a couple of things … may be more, but who’s counting eh?
1. I don’t own a credit card. There I said it! I refuse to own a credit card because when I did, I maxed it and spent a couple of years paying the dratted thing off, with a humongous amount of interest. I don’t like paying for bankers’ perks, (they already have a great salary package) so I don’t keep a credit card.
2. I overshopped – no surprises there. Have money, will spend being my motto, that is completely unsurprising.
3. The banks went on strike – and I had just a couple of grands in my purse.
… EEEKS …
4. Tried to be enterprising and even agreed to sell my next book short to get some money – but that plan fell through.
5. Banks started working one evening and I withdrew as much as I could. Collective sighs of relief from Kid#2 and me.
6. Just when I thought I could point my wand at the Travellers’ Map and say ” Travel Managed” we missed our train back. On our last day in Bangalore it rained. It bloody rained! Our hotel was 4 kilometers from Majestic Railway Station and we could not get there in 1.5 hours. How idiotic is that? The Rajdhani is never late, people, and I can vouch for it. I reached the station ten minutes late and it was gone.
7. Sat on the platform and hyperventilated.
8. Got to know of another train to Delhi from a station an hour’s drive away. Lugged suitcases and got a cab – drove to the other railway station. Sat in cab while Kid#2 talked with coolies and black market guys. He came back and said “I won’t let you travel 3rd Class A/c Sleeper.” Even though I protested, I am Aunt Scrooge of the house, I would protest, but he was adamant.
9. Rang up nephew who lives and works in Bangalore. He was thrilled. He had a barbecue party going on and he said, “Great news! Lets party!” :O
So we partied … after I cashed in my debit card on air tickets the next day.
10. The next day both of us got to the airport 4 hours before the flight … see we can learn lessons, when they are pounded into us.
To everyone who expressed surprise at the fact that it did not rain during our vacation …. It did … on our last day of vacation